At-home literacy and spelling help for seniors?
December 7, 2008 11:19 AM Subscribe
One of my neighbours has asked me for some advice and I'm pretty dumbfounded. A senior (~80yo) that she knows has said that he'd like to learn to write and spell, but she has no clue where to start. So, what resources are out there that could be of help?
posted by CKmtl to Education (5 answers total)
Some more info about the situation:
- The problem is mostly with the writing side of literacy (he can read and comprehend newspapers). He's more bothered by stuff like not being able to write words and sentences properly, not being able to tell if something he wrote is spelled incorrectly, etc.
- Undiagnosed dyslexia is a likely factor.
- He probably would not want to attend classes, because of bad experiences with teachers in the past.
- He has access to a computer and the internet, but he is not terribly computer/net-savvy. His keyboarding would be very hunt-and-peck. Software could be installed for him and he could be helped with learning how to use the programs, though.
- Nothing too childish, as he'd be a bit humiliated by that sort of thing.
- Freeware or free websites are preferable. Paying for software or books isn't completely out of the question, but they'd have to be on the inexpensive side. Fixed income and all that.