Help me find an electric Moroccan lantern!

Basically, I'm looking for something like this, but with a light bulb instead of a candle in the middle, and that plugs into the wall. When I was in Egypt, our hotel had a very simple one, so I know they exist. (That one was a bit cheaper, I think it had white plastic instead of glass, and the shape was a bit more arabian nights looking. I'll take anything close.) But I've scoured the internet and can't find anything like it at all. Can you help me?
posted by kingjoeshmoe to Shopping (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The one in Egypt was probably a Ramadan lantern. I did a quick google search and even though there are probably thousands and thousands for sale in Egypt (including electric ones) I can't find any online for sale.
posted by Deathalicious at 9:01 AM on November 26, 2008

I agree with Deathalicious - have you thought about simply modifying the one that holds a candle? A simple drill-bit and a small electric lightbulb socket (available at any home repair shop) and bob's your uncle.
posted by Baby_Balrog at 9:32 AM on November 26, 2008

I've looked for these in the US before, and not found one yet. So I hope someone here can point one out! But, just in case, have you thought about getting one for a candle and then also buying a lamp kit? They look like this. I've used them to rewire lamps, and they are pretty straight-forward (but I've not yet tried to make an electric lamp out of something that was not already wired).

Quite a few of the listings for Moroccan lanterns say you can wire them, though...
posted by Houstonian at 9:32 AM on November 26, 2008

Sigh. Thanks all. These comments are not encouraging. Aside from not having a drill, I would not trust myself to use one and not wreck the lantern. I am not the most handy person in the world.
posted by kingjoeshmoe at 9:58 AM on November 26, 2008

Just Morocco sells them, but they are expensive. They also sell ones that are essentially shades that you put over fixtures you already have.
posted by crush-onastick at 10:04 AM on November 26, 2008

There is an ebay store which ships items from Egypt, and has 100% positive feedback. It's called Egyptian & Bedouin Treasures. They have lamps, and some are electric (search for the word "bulb" in the description). I've not ordered one from them, because it makes me mad that the difference between what I've seen (candle) and electric is about $100. But, it's an option.
posted by Houstonian at 10:10 AM on November 26, 2008

Are you still looking for this lamp? I found one! Urban Outfitters has three different ones (but pricey at $120).
posted by Houstonian at 10:26 AM on May 19, 2009

Wow. A full six months later you came back. Seriously, wow. (Yeah, I was looking for less pricey, and for a model that could be placed on a table, so I guess I'm still looking. But remembering alone means a lot.) Ask MeFi is awesome. Thank you!
posted by kingjoeshmoe at 8:52 PM on June 3, 2009

« Older What are the best places to bu...   |  Hi All... Looking for this ... Newer »