Help us start a video pornography business
November 19, 2008 5:55 PM Subscribe
I was hoping you could provide some information to help my husband and I start a new porn site and possible by-mail DVD sales. Questions involve state laws (IL and surrounding area), model releases, and business viability.
posted by anonymous to media & arts (8 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
My husband and I have thought for a while about starting up a porn site. We looked at doing it a few years ago, an acquaintance of ours was making quite a bit of money doing a site. But some time has passed so we had a few questions:
1) Is porn still profitable on the internet? I know that any business can be profitable or not, but is porn still a solid way to make money online?
2) We live in Illinois. Are there any laws in Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, or Kentucky that would make porn production illegal? I know that it's legal in Florida and California, but is paying models to have sex on camera legal in any/all of those states?
3) We want to be sure we stay completely legal. I know we'll need a model release for all individuals involved. Should we consult a lawyer regarding this? If so, our Google-fu is failing us, is there an online attorney who might meet these needs? We fear if we go to our normal lawyer he might object on moral obligations.
4) Any caveats that anyone knows from experience (either first or second hand)?
5) Any advice on how, in the massive sea that is online porn, one would get noticed? We've thought about advertising and affiliate programs, but wondered if there were any more novel ideas.
6) Other than state laws that say where DVDs of porn can and can't be shipped, are there any other worries I would need to have?
7) Is it true that requiring credit card payment is valid proof of age for people wanting to view the porn, or is another type of age validation required to ensure we are not showing pornography to those not of legal age?
If you need to reach me, I can be e-mailed at newToPorno@gmail.com