Good songs utilizing the trumpet

Please suggest a few songs (rock,punk,alt-country,indie,country, I hate using labels, but please no blues or jazz or classical) that incorporate the trumpet. Doesn't have to be the main ingredient, just part of the song will do. For some reason, when used in this vague context, it sends me into a solemn, pensive place for a while. Thanks.
posted by repoman to Media & Arts (77 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

Anything by the Voodoo Glow Skulls or, my personal favorites, the Aquabats! You can also find some trumpet in some alt-country-ish Wilco. Enjoy.
posted by nitsuj at 7:24 PM on November 7, 2008

A classic song that features a trumpet solo is Penny Lane. Of course you're probably looking for something more recent, but there it is.
posted by ob at 7:24 PM on November 7, 2008

Damn, forgot to mention my favorite: Neutral Milk Hotel.
posted by nitsuj at 7:24 PM on November 7, 2008 [2 favorites]

and Calexico.
posted by nitsuj at 7:26 PM on November 7, 2008 [1 favorite]

Actually, it does not matter when. It could be Elvis or the Stones or whatever. Completely open. Thanks again.
posted by repoman at 7:27 PM on November 7, 2008

Another example that comes to mind is Cake's cover of I Will Survive.
posted by ob at 7:35 PM on November 7, 2008

Cake has a trumpet player. Italian Leather Sofa is a particularly trumpety song of theirs.

The Voodoo Glow Skulls are great, and in a similar vein, the Blue Meanies.
posted by equalpants at 7:36 PM on November 7, 2008

Short Skirt and a long jacket.....another CAKE song
posted by Mr_Chips at 7:40 PM on November 7, 2008

Many Beirut songs... Postcards in Italy comes to mind.
posted by Solon and Thanks at 7:43 PM on November 7, 2008

Red Light by U2 on their 1982 War album uses the trumpet really well.
posted by visual mechanic at 7:53 PM on November 7, 2008

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Taste the Pain
posted by Asherah at 7:54 PM on November 7, 2008

The Walkmen - Louisiana.

The trumpets come in around 1:45
posted by pilibeen at 7:55 PM on November 7, 2008

John Entwistle of The Who loved playing his French horn on some of their earlier stuff. It's all over Tommy, The Who Sell Out, and I'd imagine it can be found in A Quick One While Hes Away.
posted by Doctor Suarez at 7:58 PM on November 7, 2008

Sufjan Stevens uses a lot of trumpet.
posted by stupidsexyFlanders at 7:59 PM on November 7, 2008

Okay, you're going to have to forgive me for the light rock sensibility of this (fine: I have no, repeat, no musical taste; sue me), but it seemed pretty obvious:

Chicago, from Chicago Transit Authority: Beginnings.
posted by t2urner at 8:01 PM on November 7, 2008

I just listened to that again. Never mind. I just kicked myself off my own porch.
posted by t2urner at 8:05 PM on November 7, 2008

Chris Bathgate
posted by timsteil at 8:08 PM on November 7, 2008

The Suburbs - Love is the law. One of the more memorable trumpet riffs in the last 25 years.
posted by DieHipsterDie at 8:09 PM on November 7, 2008

Just about anything by Beulah.
posted by god hates math at 8:10 PM on November 7, 2008

Dead Kennedys: "MTV Get Off The Air"
Johnny Cash: "Ring Of Fire"
Jane's Addiction: "Idiots Rule"
posted by Rykey at 8:11 PM on November 7, 2008

Royal Crown Revue has a bunch of great swing songs featuring trumpet solos.
posted by Confess, Fletch at 8:11 PM on November 7, 2008

Sufjan Stevens uses trumpet a lot. Check out Casmir Pulaski Day.
posted by muxnaw at 8:24 PM on November 7, 2008

I'd be amazed if you got all solemn and pensive listening to this, but I'm kinda in love with the the horns in Mohammed Rafi's Jaan Pehechaan Ho.
posted by fracas at 8:25 PM on November 7, 2008

The soundtrack to Carnivale, for instrumentals, has at least two pieces with a trumpet (it is the signature tone for Brother Justin.)

Also, Rammstein's 'Te Quiero Puta' is trumpet-tastic.
posted by Weighted Companion Cube at 8:43 PM on November 7, 2008

KC and the Sunshine Band make particularly good use of trumpets in "I'm Your Boogie Man", and use the trumpet in other songs as well. Parliment-Funkadelic, Earth Wind and Fire and lots of the other funk/disco bands of the seventies used horn sections quite frequently as well, though they are hardly likely to inspire pensiveness.
posted by mr.grum at 8:48 PM on November 7, 2008

"Bottle Rocket" by the Go-Team features horns.
"Espiral" and other songs by Brazilian late '60s/early '70s band Os Brazões.
"Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash (suggestion from the bf)
"Drunk Trumpet" by Kid Koala (in a funny way)
"Panis et Circenses" by Os Mutantes has some cool trumpeteering
"Penny Lane" by The Beatles
Funk and soul songs often have horn sections.
posted by fructose at 8:50 PM on November 7, 2008

Pretty Little Ditty by Red Hot Chili Peppers
posted by blaneyphoto at 8:55 PM on November 7, 2008

Many Belle and Sebastian songs. Check out "Dog on Wheels" "Dress Up in You," "Stars of Track and Field," and "I Love My Car."
posted by Bella Sebastian at 8:57 PM on November 7, 2008

OK, not quite what you're looking for probably because there's a good smattering of stuff and I'm not sure how trumpet-heavy it is, but "Geno" by Dexys Midnight Runners is good.
posted by phunniemee at 8:59 PM on November 7, 2008

RJD2 - Ghostwriter
And as someone else already mentioned, Sufjan Stevens. Casimir Pulaski Day has a pretty good trumpet solo.
posted by heavenstobetsy at 9:01 PM on November 7, 2008

Whoops and specifically mentioned that song. But hey, there's a link.

Yo La Tengo's "Shadows" is solemn and pensive and has a trumpet solo.
posted by mykescipark at 9:32 PM on November 7, 2008

Several Jam songs, including Absolute Beginners, Precious, The Great Depression, and Beat Surrender fit the bill. Then there's the Style Council (Weller's band after the Jam), including Speak Like a Child, My Ever Changing Moods (bonus: possibly the most ridiculous music video of the 1980s), Walls Come Tumbling Down, and Have You Ever Had It Blue. Also some songs off his first solo record, including Uh Huh, Oh Yeh and Into Tomorrow.

In a non-Weller vein, I offer Spider's House by Califone; The Saturday Boy by Billy Bragg (no video, but trust me); Our House by Madness; and The Pop Singer's Fear of the Pollen Count and National Express by the Divine Comedy.
posted by scody at 9:33 PM on November 7, 2008

A couple of favorites from recent(ish) years that I think are well worth a download - "Valerie" by Crooked Fingers (off of the album Dignity and Shame) and Mission of Burma's "Nicotine Bomb" from On/Off/On. Enjoy.
posted by Ufez Jones at 9:34 PM on November 7, 2008

Try a little tenderness has an awesome trumpet/sax duet at the beginning. The Cat empire have a trumpet player that they use well.
posted by kjs4 at 10:08 PM on November 7, 2008

The National Anthem and Life In A Glasshouse by Radiohead.
posted by Diskeater at 10:11 PM on November 7, 2008

How about this album by DJ Krush and Toshinori Kondo? Kondo is a trumpet player and Krush is a Japanese DJ.

It comes dangerously close to Jazz, but it's more "light instrumental hip-hop with trumpet". Maybe not your style but it's the most solemn and pensive trumpet music I'm aware of...
posted by mmoncur at 10:16 PM on November 7, 2008

Radiohead - "Life in a Glass House"
Mercury Rev - "Holes"

Does weird fake trumpet qualify?
Nobukazu Takemura - "トゥイリルカピンポン"
posted by naju at 10:34 PM on November 7, 2008

Here's one I like by Less than Jake, a ska band. You can start there and click the related videos to get lots of trumpets.

Also, Sell Out by Reel Big Fish is nice.
posted by losvedir at 10:55 PM on November 7, 2008

Lloyd Cole & the Commotions, "Big Snake". Gives me just the sort of feeling you're looking for.
posted by Coatlicue at 11:07 PM on November 7, 2008

just to mix it up - a really good hip hop song with really cool trumpet is "spottieottiedopalicious" by outkast.

also, no doubt "spiderwebs"
posted by alice ayres at 11:41 PM on November 7, 2008

Elvis Costello/Town Crier (from Imperial Bedroom)
posted by gimonca at 11:46 PM on November 7, 2008

(actually, that might be french horn)
posted by gimonca at 11:49 PM on November 7, 2008

The Sugarcubes - Birthday
posted by K.P. at 12:00 AM on November 8, 2008

Check out "Sussudio" by Phil Collins. A lot of brass there. Sorry, too tired to make a link at the moment. It's not really solemn OR pensive, if that's your intent.
posted by Spyder's Game at 12:03 AM on November 8, 2008

The Cure - Close to Me
posted by kumonoi at 4:21 AM on November 8, 2008

The Manic Street Preachers' Kevin Carter has an excellent trumpet solo at the end.
posted by hnnrs at 5:14 AM on November 8, 2008

Mates of State: My Only Offer and The Re-Arranger
posted by photomusic86 at 5:40 AM on November 8, 2008

Elvis Costello/Burt Bachrach - "God Give Me Strength" (a great song and a great album)
posted by fourcheesemac at 6:21 AM on November 8, 2008

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned: the original recording of Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line" (written by June Carter Cash and Merle Kilgore). Its use of a mariachi-style trumpet in the turnaround is famously original.
posted by fourcheesemac at 6:22 AM on November 8, 2008

Beirut - Elephant Gun

All you need is love
posted by Jaltcoh at 6:28 AM on November 8, 2008

Prince - Get on the Boat
posted by AloneOssifer at 7:29 AM on November 8, 2008

The Dears - Ballad of Humankindness
posted by any portmanteau in a storm at 7:54 AM on November 8, 2008

Iron & Wine/Calexico - History of Lovers. The trumpets come in about 3/4 of the way through the song.

Spoon - The Underdog
posted by bibliowench at 7:58 AM on November 8, 2008

Bob, My Heart is Yearning, and Kill All the White Man, by NOFX.
posted by 23skidoo at 8:08 AM on November 8, 2008

!!! uses quite a bit of trumpet.
posted by josher71 at 8:20 AM on November 8, 2008

Came in to suggest Belle and Sebastian, Cake, and Calexico, but seeing as how they've already been mentioned... I've always been captivated by the solo in I Saved The World Today by the Eurhythmics. It might be a cornet though, or a flugelhorn.
posted by hellopanda at 8:37 AM on November 8, 2008

"bigfoot!" by the Weakerthans makes me a little teary-eyed, and i think it's the trumpet.
posted by gursky at 9:45 AM on November 8, 2008

How about:
Wake Up Boo! by The Boo Radleys
Born of Frustration by James
posted by NailsTheCat at 9:54 AM on November 8, 2008

Chet Baker plays trumpet on Elvis Costello's "Shipbuilding".
posted by nicwolff at 9:55 AM on November 8, 2008

It's not the trumpet, but is a horn close enough? 'cos Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush" has a horn solo.

Supergroove: Sitting Inside My Head, Can't Get Enough, You Gotta Know, , Scorpio Girls, You Freak Me.

Split Enz: My Mistake.
posted by rodgerd at 10:33 AM on November 8, 2008

Alone Again Or by Love
posted by evisceratordeath at 10:42 AM on November 8, 2008

Billy Bragg: The Saturday Boy on Back to Basics. That whole album is one of my favorites.
posted by mygothlaundry at 10:50 AM on November 8, 2008 [1 favorite]

The Band - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, the version from The Last Waltz
posted by Midnight Rambler at 12:21 PM on November 8, 2008

Try Foxhole, instrumental post-rock that sometimes comes across as Slint mixed with Hovis. Pretty good, all the same.
posted by jonathanbell at 2:55 PM on November 8, 2008

OMG. Spaceheads. Actually some might classify it as jazz, but I think the rhythms are more rock than jazz, so I'd call it rock.

Also several songs on "Lovelyville" by the Thinkin' Fellers Union Local 282 feature trumpet.
posted by oats at 3:07 PM on November 8, 2008

I really like "Godless" by the Dandy Warhols.
posted by h00py at 6:39 PM on November 8, 2008 [1 favorite]

I'm not reading this whole thread to see if someone else said this, so my apologies if they did.

If you are the type of person who enjoys being solemn and pensive, you might like Godspeed You Black Emperor, and you'll find a tremendously beautiful shower of staccato trumpet at the climax of the song "Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven" on the album of the same name.
posted by Beardman at 7:10 PM on November 8, 2008

Tubthumping - Chumbawamba. Very short and cute trumpet solo, at around 2:00.
posted by curagea at 10:57 PM on November 8, 2008

Most songs by Cordero feature a trumpet (at least it sounds like a trumpet to me). This record of theirs was one my favorites of that year.
posted by Rykey at 7:08 PM on November 9, 2008

XTC: "River of Orchids" and "The Last Balloon" from Apple Venus Vol. 1, "My Bird Performs", "Rook" and "Omnibus" from Nonsuch.
posted by dr. fresh at 7:50 PM on November 9, 2008

UB40's cover of "Can't Help Falling in Love"
posted by DevilsAdvocate at 9:57 AM on November 10, 2008

Bell X1's Next to You (last.fm link) has a nice trumpet solo at the end.
posted by shannonm at 12:25 PM on November 12, 2008

The first thing I thought of was the Byrds' Artificial Energy from The Notorious Byrd Brothers (1968). Then I also remembered their So You Want To Be A Rock 'n' Roll Star, from the previous year's Younger Than Yesterday.

Also, for something a bit more laid back, The Rainbow, from Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden (1988).
posted by paleyellowwithorange at 8:57 PM on November 14, 2008

"Dish It Out" and "Contort Yourself" by the Contortions.
posted by ifjuly at 6:55 AM on November 30, 2008

Haha, I didn't see you wanted it for a pensive mood. Oops!

But Smog's "The Morning Paper" off Red Apple Falls has exactly the kind of trumpet sound you seem to want--makes you feel peaceful and pensive. Perfect. That sample on Last.fm doesn't include the trumpet solos though, goshdarnit! Track it down though...
posted by ifjuly at 6:58 AM on November 30, 2008

How about Goodbooks' Passchendaele? Nice tpt solo which may be based on the start of the Last Post ... and is thus pensive? It's not always played on a tpt but on the album version and initial single release it is and so is the "iTunes Festival" live version on, er, iTunes. Can't find a trumpetty one on YouTube any more, sadly.

Erm ... Starlings by Elbow?? Extremely surprising, nay startling (aha) use of the trumpet. It's not exactly a pensive moment but rather an electrifying effect in a generally thoughtful song - ah, no, you have to hear it for yourself, I can't describe it.Suffice it to say that it works very well and they have done great stuff with it in live performances too.
posted by vogel at 9:17 AM on August 17, 2009

« Older Can i sue a cruise line for di...   |  Help my wife put a name to thi... Newer »