Election results via phone?

How can I follow election results on my cell phone?

I have to work Tuesday from early afternoon to 10pm. Is there a way that I can follow the election results via text message? We don't have cable or internet access available, but I can have my cell phone (if I hide it, that is...)

I'm thinking something along the lines of a text update as each state is declared for a party one way or another.
posted by Amanda B to Grab Bag (8 answers total)

The New York Times will have election alerts:

# To sign up for breaking news alerts, including the outcomes of Tuesday’s major contests, text “NEWSALERTS” to 698698.

# For updates on the presidential race in your state and your state’s House, Senate and

Washington Post
also has alerts:

Elections Alerts: Get the latest results and breaking news all day -- and into the night -- on Nov. 4 in this "special edition" alert from The Post.
Text "ELECTIONS" to WPOST (97678)
posted by ALongDecember at 10:34 PM on November 3, 2008

I haven't tried this.. but if you go to http://www.barackobama.com/mobile/ -- there's a way to sign up for SMS text msgs from Barack Obama's campaign... which I assume will let you know if he won or not when the votes are counted.... I haven't signed up myself, so no idea if you'll get SMS spam. I assume they wouldn't do that, but I dunno.
posted by mhh5 at 10:44 PM on November 3, 2008

Sorry, the NYT cut off:

# For updates on the presidential race in your state and your state’s House, Senate and governor’s races, text “ELECTIONS” and your ZIP code (e.g., “ELECTIONS 10018”) to 698698.
posted by ALongDecember at 10:46 PM on November 3, 2008

Just so you know, I am signed up for Obama's text alerts and I have no spam. I've been getting a few a day from him recently though, as expected. Of course, you should probably only sign up for the alerts if you are for him.
posted by ALongDecember at 10:48 PM on November 3, 2008

Awesome, thanks!
posted by Amanda B at 10:53 PM on November 3, 2008

I have unlimited text/data but I'm not allowed to SMS "short code" numbers because I'm on a pre-paid plan. Does anyone know of a good twitter feed to follow or a mobile formatted website to check for me and others in my situation?
posted by reishus at 4:37 AM on November 4, 2008

http://election.twitter.com/ shows feeds for Newsweek, NPR, Barack Obama, and John McCain.

Mobile websites aplenty! CNN Mobile, MSNBC Mobile, mobile.nytimes.com, NPR mobile, or pretty much any site. Just Google a news source and "mobile."

Can I also mention to those with iPhones or iPod touches that you can listen to Minnesota Public Radio LIVE. They'll have NPR coverage, plus in-depth coverage on what could be the closest big election today.
posted by ALongDecember at 8:01 AM on November 4, 2008

Be careful about the barackobama site. I've received so much email and snailmail spam from them, it's ridiculous. I had to unsubscribe, even though I support Obama. I wouldn't give them access to me via SMS, that's for sure...
posted by ick at 10:10 AM on November 4, 2008

« Older I love my SO but I'm no longer...   |  I would like my TV and cable b... Newer »