Ideas for a last-minute birthday present for my brother who lives 1000 miles away?

It's my brother's birthday, I haven't gotten anything, and he lives 1000 miles away. Any ideas?
posted by davebug to Human Relations (8 answers total)

Yes, I have an idea. My idea is that you need to provide us with some details!

You can't lose with a gift certificate to something online - then it won't matter how far away he is.
posted by iconomy at 7:16 AM on September 30, 2004

Details...Hmm... I'm 29, he's 33 now. We both got engaged this last year, which is somehow causing the need for birthday remembrances and gifts where there weren't many before.

I was thining maybe subscription to a site online, gift certificate...or something more creative, but able to get to him today (virtual or otherwise).
posted by davebug at 7:22 AM on September 30, 2004

(and no, we didn't get engaged to each other.)
posted by davebug at 7:23 AM on September 30, 2004

Sign him up for a something of the month club. Call and give him your wishes and casually ask him to let you know how the somethings were.
posted by majick at 7:34 AM on September 30, 2004

Thunderbirds DVD!
Radio-controlled helicopter!
Beer brewing kit!
Barbecue tools!
posted by planetkyoto at 7:39 AM on September 30, 2004

More details: He runs a computer hardware/gadget store, so it's sort of pointless to buy him any computer hardware or gadgets unless he somehow hasn't found out about them yet.
posted by davebug at 7:46 AM on September 30, 2004

You could get him a gift cert for NetFlix. If he's already subscribed, it'll pay for a month. If he's not, it will pay for a month.

Call him and talk to him for a while. I love talking to my brothers, some of the best people in the whole world.
posted by weston at 10:14 AM on September 30, 2004

ooh, good one
love the gifts that keep on giving, esp. if you can pick and choose
depending on his faves and your budget, food usually works, esp. the kind that involves nothing more than turning on an oven.
did a crazy food porn christmas once when there was this company who sent movies with the food from the movie (babette's feast, big night,etc. no tCtThWhL)
as well as just good food
"nothing says christams like burritos"
posted by ethylene at 2:30 PM on September 30, 2004

« Older US academia: When a position i...   |  [ShavingFilter] Although I sha... Newer »