What's the best way to store cannabis?

What's the best way to store cannabis for extended periods?

I use a vaporizer, so my usage is very low: a gram can last a week of daily use. That said, for various reasons, my source is a fair distance away and I'd rather not have make the trek every month or so. I'd like to go 6 months between scoring. I've heard using mason jars are a good start, but haven't heard if it's good for as long as 6 months. Anyone out there done long term storage?
posted by anonymous to Grab Bag (20 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

My dad used to keep his in the freezer. Until I accidentally left the door open, everything melted, and it got thrown out in the ensuing chaos. Man, he was mad. Anyway, some people do that, but I'm not sure if it has any detrimental effects on the stuff.
posted by yellowbinder at 11:31 AM on October 27, 2008

Vacuum sealed bags inside mason jars in the freezer, if you don't need to access it often. Otherwise, ziploc in a jar in the freezer.
posted by solipsophistocracy at 11:34 AM on October 27, 2008

Tupperware.
posted by spikeleemajortomdickandharryconnickjrmints at 11:37 AM on October 27, 2008

If it's not in the freezer, it's worth noting that putting a small shred of lettuce in the jar will help keep your supply moist. Replace the lettuce when it dries out.
posted by gnutron at 11:40 AM on October 27, 2008

Humidor?
posted by SaintCynr at 11:48 AM on October 27, 2008

Ziplock bag in a jar in the freezer.
posted by dunkadunc at 11:57 AM on October 27, 2008

Um, not to totally thread jack your question, but is it generally understood that a vaporizer uses less pot than a pipe or one-hitter or other such methods of inhaling? Is it a significant difference?

Just curious.
posted by kbanas at 12:05 PM on October 27, 2008

Why bag and jar for the freezer?
posted by Iteki at 12:14 PM on October 27, 2008

Your basic issues with any whole, dried herb are heat, light, exposure to air and moisture.

The freezer will certainly eliminate issues of heat and light. However, you need to make sure the package is completely airtight and that as much air as possible is evacuated from it before storing or you risk freezer burn. Frankly, the freezer strikes me as overkill for 6 months: airtight storage in a cool dark place with moderate humidity should preserve the properties of any whole dried herb for that period. Air exposure is critical and the number one thing you can do is to keep the herb whole: crushing, grinding, extreme compression will break down an herb, exposing a far greater surface area to air, resulting in much faster oxidation and loss of desirable properties. Beyond that, containers that allow you to evacuate air before sealing minimize oxidation. Your options go from the simple to the complex.
posted by nanojath at 12:18 PM on October 27, 2008 [2 favorites]

Seal a meal bag and jar. Vaporizer uses much less I am told *ahem*
posted by JohnnyGunn at 12:34 PM on October 27, 2008

Vaporizers are generally a more efficient method of releasing THC from cannabis than burning.

A sealed bag inside a mason jar in the fridge is a good option. If you find that the herb has dried out, you can revive it with a small bit of orange peel.
posted by Orrorin at 12:40 PM on October 27, 2008

Please tell me us of the vaporizer you are using?
posted by thylacine at 1:11 PM on October 27, 2008

DO NOT put something (lettuce, orange peel, bread) in the bag to keep things moist for any sort of period of time... definitely not for long term storage. A little bit to revive the pot can be Ok.

This can cause mold to grow and you do not want to smoke mold.

I would suggest dividing it up into whatever amount you consume in a week or two. That should go into a heavy duty baggie of appropriate size and all of those packages should go inside an absolutely air tight container and into the freezer.
posted by utsutsu at 1:24 PM on October 27, 2008 [2 favorites]

A mason jar or one of those sealed storage jars with a rubber gasket and metal clip. You really don't need to put it in the freezer - in fact I was told NOT to (I forget why). I am a serious lightweight and tend to keep pot for a long time - which is how I know the jar works well. Make sure it's airtight, keep it out of sun and away from heat and you'll be fine. If it gets dry, you can put a slice of apple in the jar for a day or so, but be sure to take it out...it WILL mold.
posted by The Light Fantastic at 2:44 PM on October 27, 2008

Back in the day my dealer kept his in a jar like The Light Fantastic describes.

I wouldn't use perishables to humidify or rehumidify your chronic. Instead, go to a cigar store (not a head shop...unless it's a super classy joint) and ask for a humidifying coin. They vary in size from about a quarter and three times as thick to about the diameter of a grinder. Should be fairly cheap. Moisten it and plop it in with your stash.
posted by carsonb at 5:49 PM on October 27, 2008

Storing in glass containers is preferable to storing in plastic (baggie or tupperware). (I used to date a medical grower; that's how he stored and distributed cannabis to his clients.)
posted by medeine at 6:22 PM on October 27, 2008

To be slightly more accurate/explicit: burning destroys most of the THC, whereas vaporization does not. So you need less herb to get the same amount of THC with vaporization.

I don't know about long-term storage, but those little plastic film canisters are good for small amounts. They're airtight, waterproof, lightproof, easily portable, and somewhat less suspicious than a big plastic bag full of green vegetable matter.
posted by greenie2600 at 7:09 PM on October 27, 2008

If it's illegal where you live be careful with dividing it up, as this will look like preparation for dealing.
posted by aeschenkarnos at 8:13 PM on October 27, 2008

2nd Tupperware

Or, rolled up in an air-tight plastic bag somewhere cool and dark.
posted by mattoxic at 4:23 AM on October 28, 2008

is it generally understood that a vaporizer uses less pot than a pipe or one-hitter or other such methods of inhaling? Is it a significant difference?

Yes, absolutely.

But as someone who uses a vaporizer exclusively, I'm perplexed by this question. Weed vaporizes best when it's dried out. Keeping it moist is counter-productive to your purposes. How are you storing it now, and what's inadequate about it?
posted by ludwig_van at 10:57 AM on October 28, 2008

« Older Are there any websites that ha...   |  I'm a 37-year-old American, ab... Newer »