Funk or soul record store in a movie?

What movie did I see that featured a small record store in an African American community within a big city's downtown area?

What I vaguely remember:

The film was set in the late 60's or early 70's. The store was a kind of meeting place. A character in the film was nervous about that part of town. The store specialized in funk or soul music. My mind has somehow connected the record store scenes with Miles Davis' "On the Corner" - likely because the characters resembled the illustrations on the album cover.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that this might have been part of a dream I had at some point, but I'm pretty sure I saw this movie and was quite impressed by the way the director captured that era and environment.
posted by davebush to Media & Arts (5 answers total)

Hairspray?
posted by kimdog at 10:03 AM on October 21, 2008

There are also some George Pelecanos books that feature a record store like this. If you've read him, that might be what you're thinking of.
posted by box at 10:06 AM on October 21, 2008

A Bronx Tale? (Go to about 7:40 in the clip)
posted by brandman at 10:13 AM on October 21, 2008

brandman, thanks - That sure closely matches what's in my mind and I did see the movie. Do any other scenes feature the store? I really thought at least one scene was inside.
posted by davebush at 10:23 AM on October 21, 2008

Well, there's

"Love Jones"

or "Juice," with Omar Epps and Tupac.

I've seen "A Bronx Tale" about 5 times and I recall only once scene with the record store.
posted by notjustfoxybrown at 10:46 AM on October 21, 2008

« Older My parents just bought a MacBo...   |  Where can I set up an account ... Newer »