Itchy Beard

Beardfilter! I'm just starting to grow a beard and it's so itchy! Any recommendations on methods for decreasing the irritation and any tips for maintaining the skin below when it's grown in would be appreciated.
posted by dflemingdotorg to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (11 answers total)

It just takes some getting used to. I always get almost there, then the ichyness drives me bannanas. However, once I get it nice and full (two weeks maybe?), you get used to it, and it isn't so bad.

I would be interested in some tips as well, as I am starting to grow mine back before I play a string of folk concerts next month. I want to be good n' shaggy.
posted by Quartermass at 4:32 PM on September 18, 2004

Get one of those flat palm-held brushes like they use for polishing shoes.
posted by RavinDave at 5:15 PM on September 18, 2004

moisturizer works well to help with itchiness, but it'll be a little itchy until you get used to it. and wash the area frequently because the hairs will collect oil/dirt/etc.
posted by amberglow at 6:00 PM on September 18, 2004

Wait a while, let it grow, and then the itching will stop. I used to like to shampoo my beard -- that helps a bit with the itching too.
posted by TurkishGolds at 6:01 PM on September 18, 2004

It's your first beard right? They always itch. It's a kind of a beard initiation process.
posted by SpaceCadet at 6:14 PM on September 18, 2004

Same as everyone else. you get used to it.

Mine still itches a little from time to time after 3-4 yrs.

i like scratching it. its my new bad habit.
posted by PugAchev at 6:41 PM on September 18, 2004

Yeah, you get used to it after a bit. I never really felt much itching when I went from the chops to the full beard, but it was a pretty slow progression, so that may have something to do with it. Years later, I only scratch or tug as a cathartic pleasure.

btw, holy shit! a Puga sighting!
posted by Ufez Jones at 7:25 PM on September 18, 2004

For temporary relief of the itchies, I would suggest Gold Bond Extra Strength Medicated Moisturizing Body Lotion.
It has worked in the past for me. I'm clean-shaven at the moment, but whenever I get the notion to grow my beard out, I always pick up a bottle of this stuff to help me through the first few weeks.
posted by bradth27 at 9:24 PM on September 18, 2004

Hey Dave: Luffa in the shower. Works wonders for taking the dead skin off (since you're not shaving it off anymore), and reducing itch for my perma stubble.
posted by will at 7:21 AM on September 19, 2004

I second the shampoo notion, but also use conditioner. I find that it makes my beard MUCH softer.

I do this every year:

Grow your beard for New Year's

posted by Caviar at 7:27 AM on September 19, 2004

I've never been able to deal with it long enough to grow it out. There's just no way. This probably has to do with the fact that it takes me 3+ months to bypass the half-scrag, just-crawled-out-of-a-garbage-can look. I can't deal.
posted by scarabic at 2:31 PM on September 19, 2004

« Older Great annotated books: I've re...   |  AskMacFilter: Ok, so now I’ve ... Newer »