Icky nail infection in NYC: Derm recommendations in midtown?

Manhattan dermatologist who can see me this week to handle an out of control icky infection (classic manicure-from-hell scenario)? The closer to Grand Central-ish, the better!

So when I first noticed my fingernail was infected - due to the throbbing and rapid expansion of a whiteness growing beneath the nail plate - I went to see an urgent care doc in midtown who put me on antibiotics and advised hot soaks in water, betadine, and hydrogen peroxide.

It's been weeks and despite religious adherence to this regimen (although I *have* perhaps made it worse by wearing bandaids which trap moisture), my nail is thisclose to falling off. I googled this and apparently it may be that yeast have invaded.

Anyhoo, I'd like to have a real dermatologist take a look at this ASAP before it gets any worse. Can anyone recommend a plain old medical dermatologist in midtown (40s or 50s) that might take me this week?

I'll be doing my fair share of calling around but I have literally zero time from 8am to 7pm.

Thanks so much for your help!
posted by anonymous to Health & Fitness (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

You might want to generalize your question to include any recommended dermatologist near GCT. Even if we know them and love them, we aren't likely to know their specific schedules this week.

Mine is Jane Taylor, 212-581-1866 on 57th Street. Good luck.
posted by JimN2TAW at 9:17 PM on September 28, 2008

Try Stephen Comite:

104 E 40th St
(between Lexington Ave & Park Ave)
New York, NY 10016
(212) 557-2600
posted by shivohum at 9:23 PM on September 28, 2008

you could also call your insurance company to get a list of derms in the area, or maybe you can even do a web search depending on how savvy your insurance company is with the web stuff.
posted by misanthropicsarah at 7:33 AM on September 29, 2008

You may need a surgeon. The dermatologist would know. I had two of these, both went septic, and had to be resolved surgically. If you notice red streaks climbing up the hand, especially if you are not on antibiotics, you should turn yourself in immediately.
posted by unrepentanthippie at 7:40 AM on September 29, 2008

« Older The baseball cap I wear at the...   |  How do you deal with PMS, espe... Newer »