Help me find this animated show about aliens

Looking for old animated film of aliens. I saw this on t.v. in the late 70's or maybe the 80's. Aliens that kind of looked like people were in animation and sometimes they would sit like they were meditating and then a big bubble would float above them, and you could not figure out if their soul was in the bubble, or if they were somehow procreating with others by doing this. I remember that the children were not suppose to bother someone who was doing this. It was a very interesting animation. I thought that the word "planet" was in the title but I'm not sure. Any ideas??
posted by lynnie-the-pooh to Media & Arts (5 answers total)

It's a French film called Fantastic Planet. IMDB link.

Pretty sure this gets asked somewhat frequently here for some reason, too!
posted by Unicorn on the cob at 11:12 PM on September 13, 2008

Probably because it was in heavy rotation on Night Flight, which I suspect is a sort of generational touchstone for a lot of Mefites. And it's the kind of thing that, when seen at 1am in one's formative years, makes a lasting, if largely baffling, impression. I remember watching Forbidden Planet, but my recollections of it have nothing to do with the plot as described in the Wikipedia entry.
posted by mumkin at 12:01 AM on September 14, 2008

Doh, I meant Fantastic Planet, not Forbidden Planet. There's a very good reason why those two plots are dissimilar.
posted by mumkin at 12:05 AM on September 14, 2008

I think it is a French/Czechoslovokian co-production--with the Czechs handling the creative end.
posted by Ironmouth at 5:53 AM on September 14, 2008

As soon as I saw the name Fantastic Planet, I knew that was it! Thanks so much!
posted by lynnie-the-pooh at 9:37 PM on September 14, 2008

« Older I believe I am having an adver...   |  What is the song in this video... Newer »