Hair growth

I've decided I miss having long hair. Any suggestions on ways to speed up hair growth?
posted by stoneegg21 to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (18 answers total)

I've been taking protein supplements when I work out, and I've found my hair to grow much faster than it normally does.
posted by gramcracker at 6:09 PM on September 13, 2004

Well, you could get extensions...
posted by reklaw at 6:48 PM on September 13, 2004

i've been looking forever for a decent quality wig for my mom so she will let her hair rest and go, if anyone runs into one.
realism a must. 100% tick free
posted by ethylene at 6:57 PM on September 13, 2004

go=grow
*sigh*

Found from google. "Hair Voodoo"

Get regular trims as you grow it, but don't go in every month, they'll cut off all your new hair. When I was growing mine long, I went in for a trim every 3 months. Not only does it prevent awkward looking hair, it also prevents split ends. Once you get those, you're hooped.
posted by Salmonberry at 7:10 PM on September 13, 2004

In Japan, they say that eating seaweed promotes hairgrowth, so hit your local Asian food market for some "nori" posthaste :)
posted by gen at 7:43 PM on September 13, 2004

keratinfilter: I think that some of today's previous fingernail hints would help with this as well.
posted by milovoo at 8:47 PM on September 13, 2004

I'll second gramcracker's advice. It seems like my hair and fingernails grow much faster while taking protein suuplements.
posted by ttrendel at 9:11 PM on September 13, 2004

Tugging on it several times a day makes it grow faster, in part because it stimulates greater blood flow to the roots.
Mind you, not so hard that it rips free, just hard enough that it pulls on the roots. Try and get as much hair as you can into a handful.
posted by Fupped Duck at 10:36 PM on September 13, 2004

SCIENCE
posted by holloway at 11:04 PM on September 13, 2004

Here you go - the advice here is very good. I've always had quite long hair with no trouble myself, but I'm following some of these suggestions anyway (for one thing, a satin pillowcase makes a lot of difference).
posted by biscotti at 11:15 PM on September 13, 2004

Great! Will that technique work for me?
posted by Ethereal Bligh at 1:03 AM on September 14, 2004

Ain't nothing wrong with that noggin, Ethereal!
posted by onhazier at 6:10 AM on September 14, 2004

Shave that head, man, it's a great shape!

I heard there are ways to make hair grow on your palms. Maybe it also affects the scalp.
posted by five fresh fish at 9:41 AM on September 14, 2004

"Get regular trims as you grow it, but don't go in every month, they'll cut off all your new hair."

I don't really get that, cause hair grows from the roots! Unless it means that you won't make much progress if you are always trimming it.
posted by agregoli at 10:03 AM on September 14, 2004

It's the latter - if you have it trimmed too frequently you'll just be cutting off the length you've just grown (regardless of the fact that it grows from the roots, the length is the length, you're cutting off what's been pushed down by the new growth, if you like).
posted by biscotti at 11:32 AM on September 14, 2004

One of my students is writing a technical manual on how to do your own hair extensions. I saw hers and they looked fine. Ask for the URL in three months.
posted by mecran01 at 12:36 PM on September 14, 2004

Scalp massage may help a bit, and won't hurt. Good nutrition helps - strong hair won't break off and will therefore stay long.
posted by theora55 at 5:10 PM on September 14, 2004

« Older ComidaFilter: Yesterday, in De...   |  Does anyone have any reccomend... Newer »