What's up with jute?

My 8' x 12' jute rug has been rolled up for several months. Now I've unrolled it again and it won't lay flat. It's all hilly. It's on a hardwood floor with a rug mat underneath it. What's the best way to get it to lay down nice and flat with no hills and dales?
posted by wsg to Home & Garden (5 answers total)

You can always roll it up in the opposite way from the way it was rolled. That should help flatten it.
posted by rachelpapers at 5:28 PM on September 10, 2008

it's a little big for this but you could always press it between yr mattress & box-spring...

another potential solution is to dampen it slightly (not a lot - just spritz it with water) and then hang it on a clothesline or or something similar - gravity may help iron some of those kinks out
posted by jammy at 5:42 PM on September 10, 2008 [1 favorite]

I'd be tempted to try running a "Rug Doctor" or some other steam-cleaning device over it. That should "iron" it flat, and clean it at the same time.
posted by Death by Ugabooga at 6:01 PM on September 10, 2008

I spritzed mine with a plant mister and piled heavy books on the ridges and hills. It took a few days.
posted by thinkpiece at 5:57 AM on September 11, 2008

time
posted by mattoxic at 6:53 AM on September 11, 2008

« Older What are the background singer...   |  Suggestions of low-rise jeans ... Newer »