Recommendations for high-end car stereo upgrade <$1800 (no boom/sizzle)
September 10, 2008 12:04 AM Subscribe
Seeking recommendations for high-end component car stereo upgrade for 2003 Passat for <$1800 (w/ iPod & keep steering wheel controls?)
posted by bmilner to Technology (3 answers total)
I'm seeking recommendations for how to best upgrade my factory Passat stereo system. I'm a "high-end" sorta guy seeking smooth detailed sound over sizzle/boom
15 yrs ago I was up on the latest in high quality audio gear. It was simple, you bought A/d/S speakers, maybe a kicker solobaric sub and you ended up with a really decent high end system. Now... I'm out of touch.
I have a 2003 Passat b5.5 wagon w/ Monsoon Cassette/CD system & headsup controls on the steering wheel. I'm looking to redo my system with the following requirements. I warmly welcome your input.
My desired system:
* Utilize the kicker 10" solobaric sub in an enclosure - I already own this.
* BUDGET: Under $1800
* Direct connection of an iPod classic. FM modulator quality is probably fine. No need to display iD3 tag info. I can control the iPod myself manually.
* Highest sound quality possible! I want warm smooth highs, accurate mids. I loathe boom and sizzle and harsh systems. On my ADS system I padded the tweeters down 3dB and liked it better.
* I want rear fill. It's not ok, to just have fronts.
NICE TO HAVES:
* Control the stereo volume from the Heads up steering wheel controls. I love those. (I can control iPod myself)
* Minimal installation hassle (i.e. can I use the stock headunit w/ a better amp and speakers down the path?)
* I'd consider built in GPS... if it didn't compromise the other "must have's"!
* ability to manually tweak the bass crossover point. I always seem to want to touch that depending on the music.
So, what do you think?
Brand recommendations? Specific speaker models?
Speak up. Most of the local (Seattle) places here want to sell me the latest sizzle system that burns my eardrums off. I need real advice.>