Looking for a scorched earth approach to keeping the ground free from grass
September 12, 2004 1:28 PM Subscribe
What's the best way to render a (small) patch of ground (semi-) permanently vegetation-free? [mi]
posted by cadastral to Home & Garden (21 answers total)
I'm trying to construct a 12 yard by 22 yard patch of dirt in the middle of an established field (well maintained 3" tall grass). I would like to kill the grass, till it up and level it. I would also like to prevent grass/weeds from regrowing.
I'm thinking that there must be a product out there that will inhibit vegetation over long periods of time (think 3-5 years).
Does anyone have experience with a product/technique that will achieve this? Bonus points for a product that is/will:
• relatively inexpensive
• non- or minimally harmful to humans
• easy for a non-expert to apply
• available without a license/not illegal, banned, or unethical to apply to a field
• not change the drainage patterns of the field
• stand up to continuous foot traffic and heavy use