Help me get my Jack Russell to quit peeing on everything.
August 27, 2008 8:52 PM Subscribe
How do I get my 4 year old Jack Rusell to stop peeing on things? He IS potty trained, and neutered, but still seems to be "marking" furniture and corners all over my apartment, and I NEVER catch him in the act. I've heard this is an issue that is more common in Jack Russells. Is there anything I can do to deter this so he won't pee on my new couch?
posted by veronicacorningstone to Pets & Animals (7 answers total)
A few more details:
- He was not well potty trained when I got him, but he definitely knows to tell me whenever he wants/needs to go out.
- He also was not neutered until I got him, which was when he was 18 months old. Ideally he would have been neutered sooner.
- This seems to happen even after hes been out to relieve himself plenty of times
- This mostly occurs on corners of furniture that have been around oher dogs, or in places that other dogs have lived.
- I literally have only caught him in the act of doing this once & often don't notice it's even happened right away.
How can I train him / deter this behavior? He is a smart dog and I've been able to train him quite a few things given the fact that I am a novice at best in dog training. I have a new couch and the thought of him marking this too... Ugh!
*Bonus Points if you can just send Ceasar Milan (the Dog Whisperer) directly to my place. Otherwise, any suggestions are welcome, especially if you've cured this in a Jack Russell, because they certainly are a unique breed.